Monday, February 14, 2011

Worthington, Ohio for The New York Times

A few weeks ago I got a call from editor Dave Scull at The New York Times asking if I would work on a story about education and the economy as job losses continue to hit across the board. Even Worthington, Ohio, widely regarded as an upper-middle class Columbus suburb has felt the effects. I was more than happy to take the story, and spent a day at Wilson Hill Elementary School where I primarily focused on Grace Koo's children. Afterwards, I accompanied the family to swimming lessons and then home while they ate dinner.

The Times ended up running the lede image 6 columns on the front of the National section, with two supporting images and a preview image on A1.







Elementary school was interesting- I don't think I've been in one since my younger sister "graduated" from 5th grade...11 years ago I guess? It kind of threw me for a loop when I walked in- it looked like how I remember it, right down to the warm, inviting teachers, but I seemed to have forgotten how small everything is. It was also fun for me to deal with kids cheesing at the camera and trying to get my attention, reminding me of being 8 or 9 and having somebody come into the classroom, watching fellow classmates pester the visitor. I wasn't one of those kids, but it was interesting to see the dichotomy from this angle. Reversing the roles, I suppose.

I had a really great time on this shoot. Grace and her family made the day really fun, and were very welcoming to me. It's always really great to leave an assignment with a big smile, knowing you've done the story and those affected by it the justice they deserve.

If you'd like to read the story, please do so here. I was also pleased to see that the Columbus Dispatch syndicated the story from the Times, knowing that it reached a hyper-local audience as well as the rest of the nation.

1 comments:

Anonymous February 14, 2011 at 2:00 PM  

Nice work man, I'm working on a story currently on bullying in Chauncey Elementary, and these preventative classes they are taking due to these problems. It's nice to see some work coming out of a school. It's definitely a new experience, shooting in a school is much different than most things I've worked on before. Take care.

{archives}

Biography

Biography
I'm a freelance photographer currently based in Columbus, Ohio and available for assignment anywhere you'd like to send me.
Please contact me directly at +1 440 897 6758 or andrewspear.photo@gmail.com.

All images and content © Andrew Spear, 2010. All rights reserved. No reproduction without permission of author, under penalty of law. He can be contacted at +1 440 897 6758 for any questions.

Add to Technorati Favorites